29 April 2010

poetic self portrait

A yearbook's endpages, filled with promises
to stay in touch, stand as proof of the uselessness
of a teenager's promise. Not like I'm dying
for a letter from the class stoner
ten years on but...
Do you remember the way the girls
would call out "love you!"
conveniently leaving out the "I"
as if they didn't want to commit
to their own declarations.

I agree that the "I" is a pretty heavy concept
and hope you won't get uncomfortable
if I should go into some deeper stuff here.


excerpt of the poem Self-Portrait at 28 by David Berman.

thanks to ill seen, ill said for introducing me to david berman. 
Image from le love.

3 comments:

  1. Just clicked over to read the whole poem, loved it. I think he is being added to my Barnes and Noble wish list.
    That part about "the need to simulate coolness means not asking when you don't know" is so true! Sadly it doesn't end in high school either. And is also why I am totally not cool, I can't resist asking questions constantly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if you're using the poem as a personal message, then I'm sure everyone would love for you to dig deeper here :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that! Is the poem a personal note or just something that you really liked??

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment, unless you're a troll or a bully, in which case I will delete you so fast...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...