01 October 2010

chills.

Marriage is a vital social institution. The exclusive commitment of two individuals to each other nurtures love and mutual support; it brings stability to our society. For those who choose to marry, and for their children, marriage provides an abundance of legal, financial, and social benefits. In return it imposes weighty legal, financial, and social obligations….Without question, civil marriage enhances the “welfare of the community.” It is a “social institution of the highest importance.” ... Marriage also bestows enormous private and social advantages on those who choose to marry. Civil marriage is at once a deeply personal commitment to another human being and a highly public celebration of the ideals of mutuality, companionship, intimacy, fidelity, and family…. Because it fulfils yearnings for security, safe haven, and connection that express our common humanity, civil marriage is an esteemed institution, and the decision whether and whom to marry is among life’s momentous acts of self-definition.

From “Goodridge Vs. Department of Health” – Massachusetts Supreme Court Chief Justice Margaret H. Marshall



*Can we just legalize marriage for gays, lesbians, et al yet? pu-leaze? 'Cause it puts a damper on my joy if it's a right that other's don't have... that whole my liberation tied up in your liberation thing. you get?

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you. I had a bit of an awkward moment this weekend. I met a really nice gay couple and after having talked to them for awhile, a mutual friend of ours mentioned that I was recently married. They congratulated me but then quickly said, "well...it's not for us." And I know exactly what they meant and it really tore me up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, crap, I DID miss the boat. My RSS feed showed the last post first, then this one, then the one where you actually announced that you're engaged. Stupid RSS feed. And amidst all my confusion: congratulations, ma'am. I'm so so so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment, unless you're a troll or a bully, in which case I will delete you so fast...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...